Do you have to sit at your office desk for long hours bending your hips or back?
Accommodating your body in such positions for a long time gradually leads to accumulation of fat in your hips and thighs and your body loses its flexibility.
You must have come across women with toned thighs and hips and wondered if you had the same. It is not an impossible task to shed excess fat off your legs or trim your booty and tone them into an attractive shape.
There are various useful workouts for reducing fat from your legs. But, we have handpicked the best yoga exercises to lose hip and thigh fat fast. You can easily include these yoga poses in your daily workout schedule.
There are somethings which always benefit us when goes in parallel. Our body is the result of things we eat and the workouts we perform. The experts always give advice to keep a check on our diet when we are aiming for a toned body. A combination of healthy diet and yoga can do wonders for your body.
Let’s first go through some of the very important benefits of yoga poses you are going to perform.
Benefits of yoga exercises for hips and thighs
- Improves your blood circulation in your hips and thighs.
- Makes your movement flexible and makes you feel energetic in works that involve your lower region.
- Reduces excess fat from your hips, thighs, waist and even legs.
- Gives your lower and lower back part a slender and attractive contour.
- Makes your hamstring muscles strong and elastic. For that reason, you can withstand common injuries in that region.
- Relieves you from pain in the hip joint and thigh muscles.
Most effective yoga exercises to tone your thighs
Below is given a list of asanas that will help you lose inner thigh fat and render them a slender look:
1. Balasana or Child’s Pose
This asana stretches your thigh muscles gently and increases their elasticity. It relieves you from pain in the back and reduces muscle fatigue.
How to do Balasana yoga:
- Kneel down on the floor and sit on your heels touching your toes together. Separate your knees gradually to the width of your hips.
- Now, slowly lower your forehead and bend forward to touch the floor. Exhale as much as you can while bending down.
- Rest your arms forward in two sides of your head with your palms joined together.
- Your face should be facing downward.
- Gently press your chest against your thighs or in between the thighs if they are apart.
- Stay in this position for 45 seconds.
- Take a deep breath and pull your navel inward while inhaling.
- Now, raise your torso and come back to the kneel down position.
- Relax for 30 seconds keeping your spine straight.
Note: This asana is not for pregnant women.
You must always perform yoga on yoga mats as they provide you a little cushion. Good quality yoga mats are readily available on the internet. You can prefer premium yoga mats or the normal density yoga mats.
Also Read: 8 Safest Yoga Exercises During Pregnancy
2. Ushtrasana or Camel Pose
This is an amazing backward bending exercise which resembles the camel and hence the name Ushtrasana (in Sanskrit ushtra means camel). Ushtrasana is one of the best yoga exercises to lose hip fat and thigh fat. It stretches your thighs, ankles, and strengthens your back.
How to do Ushtrasana yoga:
- Kneel down on your yoga mat keeping your palms on your thighs. Make sure that your shoulders and knees are in parallel lines.
- Let your soles face upward.
- Inhale and pull your navel inward. While inhaling bend backward like an arch.
- Take your arms up and gently touch your heels. Your arms should be straight while you are in this position.
- Keep your neck in a normal position. Do not stress.
- Hold on to this pose for 60 seconds and gradually come back to your kneeled down sitting posture.
Note: If you are doing this asana as a beginner, don’t stay in the Camel’s Pose for more than 20 seconds. Avoid doing this asana if you have high or low BP, insomnia and migraine.
3. Garudasana or Eagle Pose
This asana is widely recommended for those who want to reduce fat from their thighs. Due to the posture of this asana, your legs are stretched at its optimum. It involves blood circulation in your thighs, calves, ankles, hips and even in the upper back region.
The duration of Garudasana is from 15-30 seconds.
How to do Garudasana yoga:
- Stand straight on your feet.
- Gently wrap your left leg around your right leg in such a way that both your knees are stacked together.
- Make sure that your left toe rouches tour right shin.
- Now, raise both arms over your head.
- Slowly wrap your right arm around your left keeping your palms joined in the “namaskar” pose. (While doing this your elbows should be stacked as your knees. Also, your elbows should rest at 90 degrees angle to each other.
- Stand straight in this position for 5-10 seconds.
- Breathe in and out gently with your eyes closed.
- Relax and repeat the pose.
Note: Avoid this asana if you have an injury in knees, elbows or ankles. If you are pregnant take consent from your ob-gyn before doing this asana.
4. Dhanurasana or Bow Pose
Dhanurasana or Bow Pose is an effective yoga pose that has a tremendous impact on your inner thighs. It stretches all your four limbs. This asana helps in shedding excess fat from your thighs and tones them. The duration of this asana is 15-20 seconds.
This yoga pose helps to get rid of both the thigh and the butt fat.
How to do Dhanurasana yoga:
- Lie down straight on your abdomen.
- Let your feet rest apart and your arms reside on your either sides.
- Now, bend your knees and hold your ankles.
- Taking a deep breath to lift your head up and pull your chest. While doing this lift your legs off the ground.
- Your legs should be held firmly by your hands and pulled backward.
- Look forward and breathe deeply. Release your stress.
- Stay in this position for 15-20 seconds and relax.
Note: Dhanurasana is not meant for those who have a hernia, BP, migraine, neck sprain, abdominal surgery or low back pain. Pregnant women are not recommended to perform this asana.
Also Read: 10 Most effective weight loss tips for women
Best butt workouts for well-toned hips
1. JanuShirshasana or One-Legged Forward Bend
It is a very effective glute workout to make your hip joints flexible. It boosts blood circulation in your pelvic region and strengthens your lower back region. Doing JanuShirshasana every day will make your buttocks and thighs flexible.
It is one of the most effective yoga exercises to lose hip fat.
How to do JanuShirshasana yoga:
- Sit straight on the floor with your left leg stretched.
- Bend your right leg in a way that your heel touches your genitals.
- Make sure your right knee and right thigh presses against the floor on which you are sitting.
- Let your hands rest beside your hips providing them support.
- Take a deep breath and stretch your torso raise your arms above your head.
- Now, gradually as you exhale you bend forward as much as you can and try to hold your ankle or toes keeping yourself comfortable.
- Inhale and release your pose. Lift your torso and come back to your normal position.
- Repeat the same with your right leg.
Note: Avoid this asana if you have an injury in your lower back or knee. If you have diarrhea or a lumbar disc herniation it’s better not to try this exercise.
2. Natarajasana or Lord of the Dance Pose
As the name suggests this asana is the dancing pose of Lord Shiva who is known as Nataraja (nata- dance, raja- lord). This asana has remarkable benefits in your entire body. It makes your hips, ankles, legs, and thighs flexible and strong.
Natarajasana is widely recommended by yoga therapists as this asana increases your body balance and boosts your metabolism. The duration of this asana is 15-30 seconds.
How to do Natarajasana yoga:
- Take your position in Tadasana.
- Now, take a deep breath and lift your left foot backward in such a way that your left heel is pointed towards your buttock. Keep your knees bent while doing this pose.
- Let your entire weight lie on your right foot.
- Keeping your torso straight, grasp your left toe with your left hand without compressing your lower back portion.
- Make sure your left thigh lies parallel to the floor.
- Extend your right arm in the forward direction and parallel to the floor.
- Stay in this position for 15-30 seconds.
- Repeat the asana with your right leg.
Note: Do not try Natarajasana if you have low blood pressure. For best results, do this asana every day at dusk and dawn.
Also Read: 8 Yoga Workouts for better digestion
3. Salabasana or Locust Position
The asana resembles the posture of a grasshopper and hence the name Salabasana(In Sanskrit ‘salaba’- grasshopper or locust and ‘asana’-pose). Salabasana is a great stress buster and a great exercise for strengthening your abdominal muscles. It increases the flexibility of your hip muscles and as a result, they become toned.
Shalbasanaisrecommended by yoga trainers as one of the best glute exercises that help in reducing your booty and trimming your thighs.
How to do Salabasana yoga:
- Lie on your abdomen first keeping your spine straight.
- Rest your chin on your yoga mat.
- Lift your head and torso gradually from your mat. Also, lift your hands and legs from the yoga mat. Don’t forget to breathe out while you are lifting your upper part from the ground.
- Stretch your arms backward as much as possible.
- Make sure your whole upper torso is not in touch with the ground on which you are doing the asana.
- Exhale deeply as you stretch your spine and look forward.
- Stay in this position for half a minute approximately.
- Repeat the asana thrice to get the best results.
Note: Avoid doing Salbasana if you have head or neck injuries or a headache.
The Monk’s Advice!
Yoga is a holistic therapy that requires a perfect synchronization of your mind and body.
We have given some of the best yoga exercises to lose hip fat and thigh fat fast. These yoga poses will not only reduce your weight but also, will give your legs a perfect shape.
You must make a yoga workout schedule with a positive mind and see how yoga helps you to look attractive.